Law 9/2012 of 31 May 2012 on immigration offers several residence possibilities in Andorra, including passive residence.
Opportunities for British citizens. Passive or non-profit residence in Andorra
There are three categories of passive residence:
Category A: For people living in Andorra without lucrative activity
Category B: For people who have a service company or activity on an international scale that does not make a profit at a local level.
Category C: Created for elite athletes, scientific researchers and artists with international prestige.
In these cases, it is necessary to have a main and effective residence in the Principality of Andorra for at least 90 days per calendar year.
The economic requirements that a resident without lucrative activity must fulfil are the following:
Permanently and effectively invest an amount of at least 400,000 euros in one or several types of assets that are listed below:
- Real estate located in the Principality of Andorra.
- Holdings in the share capital or in the equity of companies located in the Principality of Andorra.
- Debt instruments or finances issued by entities with residence in the Principality of Andorra.
- Debt instruments issued by any Public Administration of the Principality of Andorra.
- Life insurance contracted with entities with residence in the Principality of Andorra.
- Non-interest-bearing deposits with the Andorran Financial Authority (AFA).
Make a non-interest-bearing 50,000 euro deposit with the Andorran Financial Authority (AFA). In addition, the principal owner must also deposit the non-interest-bearing amount of 10,000 euros for each dependent living in the country as a resident without lucrative activity. These amounts will be deducted from the amount referred to in the previous section.
Passive residents are continuously increasing. This community includes some of the world’s top athletes who take advantage of the benefits of altitude training.